As of August 25th, 2021 it is the Board’s policy to require face coverings in the library.
- Libraries are highly trusted institutions with more than three in four U.S. adults saying that public libraries help them find information that is trustworthy and reliable.
- 76.8% of libraries provide online health resources and 60% offer programs to help Americans identify health insurance resources and get better informed on health topics.
- 95% of libraries provide online homework assistance, and 95% offer summer reading programs for children.
- There are more than 16,000 public libraries and branches in the United States, more than Starbucks locations.
- There were more than 113 million attendees at public library programs in 2016, more than Major League Baseball, National Football League, and National Basketball Association games combined.
- Nearly all public libraries provide free WiFi and no-fee access to computers.
- Academic libraries have almost 2.6 billion physical and electronic items in their collections available for use.
- Research shows the highest achieving students attend schools with well-staffed and well-funded school libraries.
- Students in high-poverty schools are almost twice as likely to graduate when the school library is staffed with a certified school librarian.
- Librarians have long championed their community members’ right to access information privately, and serve as an essential refuge where everyone can check out materials or browse the internet without their information being shared.
Board meeting tonight at 7pm. The public is welcome to attend!